Tuesday 8 September 2015

Tilly & The Buttons - African Clemence



Image Source: https://goo.gl/iibw9O

** No idea why the text refuses to be edited to a decent size. One needs a pair of binoculars **


Am a fan of gathered skirts aka dirndl skirts. In particular those made with African fabric. I appreciate not everyone finds a gathered skirt flattering. But for me it's all good. One: they are so easy to make. Two: I like the style.

I had been looking for African fabric that wasn't waxed, I find it too stiff. I know it will probably soften in the wash but I wanted a wax-free African fabric. Each time I visited my second home Abakhan, I would rummage through the African fabric section to no avail. I was beginning to think I would never see any wax-free African fabric . . .  until one day, I got lucky. Now I won't say I was blown away by the fabric I would say more seduced by the fact it wasn't waxed. So in the basket it went and I was a happy customer.



 

A couple of weeks passed before I reached for my Tilly's and The Buttons - Love at First Stitch book, and knocked a Clemence out. My version falls at the centre of my knee. I prefer a longer length, so next time I will amend the pattern accordingly. I added pockets. Bound them and the hem with a raspberry pink rayon binding. I hand sewed the hem with a catch stitch. Ooo look at me. Wasn't that long ago I thought, Whaaat ! Hand sew my hems . . .  you must be j-o-k-i-n-g. Catchstitch? Nah looks too much trouble, ain't got the time. 

Well how the tide has changed. Never thought I would say this, but I enjoy hand sewing my hems. It fills me with a sense of calm, and I love the clean finish. Think am addicted. Call it my prozac.


"Some say the glass is half full. Some say the glass is half empty. I say are you gonna drink that."

Until Next Time

Sassy . . .



4 comments:

Say Ya Piece . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...