Wednesday 6 January 2016

DIY - Pop Art Marilyn




Happy New Year, Sassy Peeps. Hope you had a good one!

I have been obsessed with cushions of late. Only made three but I visit my second home Abakhan (fabric store), with fabric for cushions in mind. Thus, I head straight for the home furnishings section.

Statement cushions are fun projects. You could throw one amongst your plains to give your home a fun lift.  I don't have many cushions but something tells me that will change in the future. Cool statement cushions, to me are like pieces of art, and since pop art cushions had been taunting me around the web for quite some time, I was determined to make my own.


The will was there,  just needed the right fabric, to make this a reality. I was on a mission! Scouted my nearest fabric shops with no success. Searched ebay with renewed hope. Boom! There looking back with pleading eyes  -  non other than a pop art Marilyn Monroe fabric panel. Price including postage £3.50.   Pulled the trigger on the purchase without a moments hesitation, and waited for it's arrival with baited breath.  

image source: ebay seller aa.clearance

I wasn't a fan of the black and white cinema reel edges. Chopped part, concealed the rest within the seam allowance.  Intended to try my hand at piping for this cushion to give it an edge, literally and figuratively, but my pain in the a** life got in the way.  I found myself procrastinating - something I excel at.

So the day came when my inner self screamed, girlfriend, stop making excuses and get the goddamn cushion cover sorted. Yes ma'am! I replied. Hmm, yes - I talk to myself. I lined the beauty it in a strawberry pink lining fabric using black Duchess Satin for the reverse.  Plush eh. Fabric I had in my stash, but Marilyn is one classy lady so why not.

Threw in a regular cushion insert from one of my other cushions. Incidentally,  this cushion is breathing some life into my tired, dated couch. Didn't think I would see the day. But hey miracles do happen. This is my favourite project to date. Love it! I have another Marilyn panel enroute to me as I type. Next time I intend to change it up. This one will be retired to my craft room in due course.




Until Next Time

Sassy . . .

 







6 comments:

  1. A great looking cushion and at a bargain price too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sassy T! :)
    You asked my on my blog, if you could use a picture of my cocktaildress on Burda style (http://www.burdastyle.com/projects/cocktaildress). Of course you can. It would be kind, if you could mention my blog.
    I'm happy about your feature! Thank you so much.
    Greetings from Germany,
    Stef

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have responded on your blog. https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees/

      Delete
  3. These cushions are very nice! I love your fabric choice :)

    ReplyDelete

Say Ya Piece . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...